Tuesday, April 24, 2012

using 240v UK devices in USA

hi there, bit of a general question. am i correct in thinking that certain devices wont work properly (or could become damaged) if you use a simple UK to US travel adaptor? I remember i tried using my camcorder a few years ago off the mains and it damaged it. maybe something to do with current? Is there such a thing that will convert the power safely?





2 weeks to vegas - woo hoo!



using 240v UK devices in USA


I can%26#39;t help too much I%26#39;m afraid.... I can confirm you are correct in what you are saying though.





I don%26#39;t know the technicalities of it, but when I was there - mobile chargers, laptop and digital camera battery all charged/worked OK with a normal adaptor plug.





My hair clippers didn%26#39;t work though!



using 240v UK devices in USA


Some things require a power adaptor in addition to the wall outlet adaptor.




For certain higher power devices such as hairdryers or hair straighteners you would need a step up voltage converter, they simply will not have enough power without one. I have one and it is quite heavy!





Smaller devices such as battery chargers should be ok but a couple of times I have found that batteries that show as fully charged do not last anywhere near as long as usual.



Dave.




hi miktek,



most modern electrical goods with an external power supply are multi voltage and will work on anything from 115-240V. Just look at the spec. printed on the side. Straight plug in items like hairdryers, tongs, etc. are normally only good for the market that they are made for. To buy a voltage converter to change 115 to 240V would be too expensive. You would probably be better off just buying an item locally.




SpursMad is correct in that *most* modern electrical devices will have a built-in converter. If it%26#39;s built-in, somewhere on the unit it will have printed:



110V-240V ~ 50/60Hz



It may not be built-in, but may have a converter in-line on the cord. If so, that will be a little ';box'; sort of thing which will have the same wording printed on it.



I know here we can buy converters (US to UK) for about $10 each. But I just did a very quick Google search for UK to US converters and it looks as if one heavy-duty enough to work on a hair dryer is about 拢20! Yikes, that%26#39;s as bad as your petrol prices, lol :-)




thats for all the help guys.



this is a picture of my camcorders charger - so this should be OK to use with just a PIN convertoe? my laptop charger has a similar rating 100-240v.





http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zd2jah%26amp;s=4




Miktek,



that power supply will be fine in the US. The only thing that you might need to buy is a converter for the power outlet. If the power cord has the normal 3 pin UK plug you will need a converter to the US two pin type. They are available in supermarkets, chemists and in the airport. They will cost about 拢5. You can also buy travel irons and hairdryers for use in the US.



If you buy a voltage converter you would need it to be fairly powerful if it was to be used to power items that have a high wattage. This would make it heavy.



If you only need it for charging phones or hand held games consoles, you can get the lower powered ones for 拢15-拢20.



By the way I%26#39;ve just noticed that this is my 100th post!! Do I get a medal?? :-)




Hello,





Just to let you know that UK made GHD hair straightners do not work in the US as they are too powerful!!.




It%26#39;s not that they are too powerful it is that they don%26#39;t get hot enough to work properly. The US is only half the voltage of the UK (110V vs 220V) so things like hairdryers, razors etc run at less speed (or less heat).





Check the ratings label as mentioned above to see if it will work properly.




I also noticed that in florida myy ghds did not work though my friend went to vegas in June she said her ghds worked...... maybe she is kidding me!

No comments:

Post a Comment